Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Feb 22 03:39:58 PST 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:13:30 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
> Jim Farmelant wrote:
>
> >A typically overwrought statement by the former(?) London
> >spokesman for the PCP, and yet, not totally lacking in truth,
> >since to the extent that Pinochet challenged the legitimacy
> >of the British and Spanish judiciaries to charge and prosecute
> >him for crimes that he committed as head of state in Chile,
> >he was indeed, acting in defense of the sovereignty of
> >Latin American states, against European and American
> >imperialism, and so in that limited sense was acting as
> >a "patriot" and an "anti-imperialist."
>
> And doesn't that just go to show you how easy it is to slide from a
> nationalist anti-imperialism into crypto-fascism? For a supposed
> communist to find anything good to say about Pinochet is weird,
> really weird.

Back in 1938 Trotsky wrote:

"I will take the most simple and obvious example. In Brazil there now reigns a semifascist regime that every revolutionary can only view with hatred. Let us assume, however, that on the morrow England enters into a military conflict with Brazil. I ask you on whose side of the conflict will the working class be? I will answer for myself personally -- in this case I will be on the side of 'fascist' Brazil against 'democratic' Great Britain. Why? Because in the conflict between them it will not be a question of democracy or fascism. If England should be victorious, she will put another fascist in Rio de Janeiro and will place double chains on Brazil. If Brazil on the contrary should be victorious, it will give a mighty impulse to national and democratic consciousness of the country and will lead to the overthrow of the Vargas dictatorship. The defeat of England will at the same time deliver a blow to British imperialism and will give an impulse to the revolutionary movement of the British proletariat. Truly, one must have an empty head to reduce world antagonisms and military conflicts to the struggle between fascism and democracy. Under all masks one must know how to distinguish exploiters, slave-owners and robbers!" (Writings, 1938-39, page 34)

Arguably, Adolfo was perhaps trying to make a similar point, although, hardcore Stalinist that he is, he probably wouldn't appreciate the comparison with Trotsky.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com