Boring Lefties

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sun Feb 23 00:04:29 PST 2003

Quoting Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net>:

> In my younger, single days, I partied with models and assorted actresses
> (waitresses by night), and while it was fun, it was empty -- models are
> especially dense. The lack of decent talk sent me running to the left,
> where
> I thought I'd be able to discuss weightier matters, and for the most part
> did. But most of the lefties I partied with weren't into dancing, yelling
> drunk at the city night sky, sports, pop culture, etc. And to the degree
> they'd discuss it, it was usually in dismissive, analytical terms. Now, of
> course, there were a handful who did appreciate the trashier aspects of our
> existence; but most spoke as if they were being watched or judged by
> someone
> they hoped to impress, trying to one-up you on some obscure political
> point.
>
> Boring.
>
> So, Catherine, I'm not looking to sign up to anything -- my wife and kids
> are enough for me. But it would be nice to see a left that dispensed with
> certain niceties and let it rip. You see this somewhat with young
> anarchists
> (those who are media-savvy, I mean, not the dull bark-chewers who eschew
> bathing, grooming, elements of common sense), but, on the whole, our tribe
> is a pious snoozefest.

Hmm. Well, I guess my friends mostly count as left by any standard operating on this list, and they're neither dismissive of popular culture -- oh, ok, some kinds of dismissal... like rugby league and nelly bother and depress me, but not in general.

But they're not boring. Otherwise, um, I wouldn't hang out with them. And, look, this list has its irritations but it's not on the whole boring or a "pious snoozefest". I'm tempted to say you hang out in the wrong places and with the wrong people, but I think rather you just see what you've decided to expect.

And what are these "niceties", exactly? God knows I don't encounter too many of those, but perhaps I'm just off-putting. It has been suggested from time to time.

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/