Bina on Iraq

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Sun Feb 23 08:53:58 PST 2003

JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

>I don't doubt that oil is a consideration (at least, it was an explicit
> >reason for the first Gulf War). But your suggestion that the motivation
> >is to gain a stranglehold over Europe and Japan strikes me as bizarre.
> >
> >- -- Luke
>
> I think it's quite reasonable.

US already enjoys the stranglehold over the supply of oil to Europe and Japan on account of US navy's domination over sealanes in Indian ocean (assuming such stranglehold is desirable from the US viewpoint.) US doesn't need to attack Iraq to achieve it. Who owns oilfields and refines oil is less relevant.

One would also have to explain why Europe and Japan can not get their oil supplies from Russia.

Ulhas