The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui/The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 24 09:24:22 PST 2003

Here's an idea for radical theater, a Brecht Revival for my cranky "Fallow Traveler."

How about rewriting _The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui_ -- an MBA (Harvard Business School, 1975) disguised as a Texan cowboy rises to power through election frauds and alliance with international gangsters, bent on global domination through the oil protection racket?

If any European artists really wanted to satirize The Empire and its Euro Hangers-on with malicious glee, they could, of course, stage _The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny_, too.

***** ...Mahagonny is seen in flames on the screens in the background. Then groups of demonstrators begin appearing; they interweave and confront one another, continuing right up to the end....

First Group: For this splendid Mahagonny Has it all, if you have the money. Then all is available Because all is for sale And there is nothing that one cannot buy.

_The inscriptions on the second group's signs read_: 'FOR PROPERTY' 'FOR THE EXPLOITATION OF OTHERS' 'FOR THE JUST DIVISION OF SPIRITUAL GOODS' 'FOR THE UNJUST DIVISION OF TEMPORAL GOODS' 'FOR LOVE' 'FOR THE BUYING AND SELLING OF LOVE' 'FOR THE NATURAL DISORDER OF THINGS' 'FOR THE PROLONGATION OF THE GOLDEN AGE'

Second Group: We need no raging hurricane We need no bolt from the blue: There's no havoc they might have done That we cannot better do.

_The inscriptions on the third group's signs read_: 'FOR THE FREEDOM FOR THE RICH' 'FOR VALOUR AGAINST THE DEFENCELESS' 'FOR HONOUR AMONG MURDERERS' 'FOR GREATNESS OF SQUALOR' 'FOR IMMORTALITY OF UNDERHANDEDNESS' 'FOR THE CONTINUATION OF THE GOLDEN AGE'

Third Group: As you make your bed so you lie on it The bed can be old or brand-new: So if someone must kick, that is my part And another get kicked, that part's for you.

First Group _returning with its signs_ Why, though, did we need a Mahagonny? Because this world is a foul one With neither charity Nor peace nor concord Because there is nothing To build any trust upon....

(Bertolt Brecht, _The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny_, Scene 20) ***** -- Yoshie