white trash

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 24 11:15:08 PST 2003

Yoshie
> At 1:51 PM -0500 2/24/03, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> >Perhaps "white trash" was not the best choice of words. But what
> >alternative term would you use to describe the group of
> >self-righteous, arrogant whites, predominantly males, who feel that
> >they are entitled to the life style and consumption level they
> >have, holding disparaging views of any other ethinic group
> >(including other "whites" such as Europeans or Jews) and women,
> >ethnocentric (or "patriotic"), deferential toward authority figures,
> >ignorant, displaying philistine attitueds toward culture and
> >learning, favorably responding to the most debased calls and
> >causes, and deriving thinly veiled pleasure form suffering inflicted
> >on others?
>
> Frat boys?

This is definitely a sub-group of the species I am talking about, but that species also includes individuals who did not even come close to a collge, let alone attend it.

Bubbas? - maybe, but to obscure. It would not be understood internationally, I am afraid

Springer guests? - ditto

What happens if you say "po' black trash?" - meaning?

Bigotry in fact comes in several colors, but that may be a different problem. - definitely true, but we should not be distracted by the local colorings to properly identify the species. However, it is a good question whether the Euro-American variety is the same species as the Middle-Wastern, African or the Central-Asian varieties.

I was thinking "petit bourgeoisie" (perhaps with an adjective identifying national varieties) - but that would be limited to Euro-American societies.

Wojtek