white trash

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Feb 24 10:58:15 PST 2003

[This is from the 1975 edition of "Saturday Night" hosted by Richard Pryor. The Interviewer was played by Chevy Chase; Mr. Wilson, by Pryor.]

Interviewer: All right, Mr. Wilson, you've done just fine on the Rorshach.. your papers are in good order.. your file's fine.. no difficulties with your motor skills. And I think you're probably ready for this job. We've got one more psychological test we always do here. It's just a Word Association. I'll throw you out a few words - anything that comes to your mind, just throw back at me, okay? It's kind of an arbitrary thing. Like, if I say "dog", you'd say..?

Mr. Wilson: "Tree".

Interviewer: "Tree". [nods head, prepares the test papers ] "Dog".

Mr. Wilson: "Tree".

Interviewer: "Fast".

Mr. Wilson: "Slow".

Interviewer: "Rain".

Mr. Wilson: "Snow".

Interviewer: "White".

Mr. Wilson: "Black".

Interviewer: "Bean".

Mr. Wilson: "Pod".

Interviewer: [casually] "Negro".

Mr. Wilson: "Whitey".

Interviewer: "Tarbaby".

Mr. Wilson: [silent, sure he didn't hear what he thinks he heard ] What'd you say?

Interviewer: [repeating] "Tarbaby".

Mr. Wilson: "Ofay".

Interviewer: "Colored".

Mr. Wilson: "Redneck".

Interviewer: "Junglebunny".

Mr. Wilson: [starting to get angry] "Peckerwood!"

Interviewer: "Burrhead".

Mr. Wilson: [defensive] "Cracker!"

Interviewer: [aggressive] "Spearchucker".

Mr. Wilson: "White trash!"

Interviewer: "Jungle Bunny!"

Mr. Wilson: [upset] "Honky!"

Interviewer: "Spade!

Mr. Wilson: [really upset] "Honky Honky!"

Interviewer: "N-word!"

Mr. Wilson: "Dead honky!"

Interviewer: [quickly wraps the interview up] Okay, Mr. Wilson, I think you're qualified for this job. How about a starting salary of $5,000?

Mr. Wilson: Your momma!

Interviewer: [fumbling] Uh.. $7,500 a year?

Mr. Wilson: Your grandmomma!

Interviewer: [desperate] $15,000, Mr. Wilson. You'll be the highest paid janitor in America. Just, don't.. don't hurt me, please..

Mr. Wilson: Okay.

Interviewer: [relieved] Okay.

Mr. Wilson: You want me to start now?

Interviewer: Oh, no, no.. that's all right. I'll clean all this up. Take a couple of weeks off, you look tired.

[fade]