Poor White Republicans was Re: white trash

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 24 13:39:23 PST 2003

Kevin:

> Not sure where Woj was trying to go when he was talking
> about "consumption levels", but it does seem odd that there
> are poor whites who generally vote Republican...it would be
> a good question as to "Why"?

What passes fro "poor" in the US, can be considered quite "wealthy" by international standards. What I mean by that is that these folks have food, housing, running water, electricity, and own transportation - which in many parts of the world are luxuries. What I meant to say is that I do not understand why people whi live in relative prosperity (i.e. have their basic needs met) and experienced very little suffering from the hands of others harbor so much hatred and bigotry toward others. I can understand such feeling among, say, Middle Easterners, but US-ers?

Wojtek