One Third Re: Poor White Republicans

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 24 15:12:16 PST 2003

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>Why should they do any damn thing but get by day by day?
>
>Who's gonna make your revo then? Or is revolution just one of those
>things that happen beyond human agency, like imperialism, which is a
>"mode of existence" and not something that actual people actually do?
>
>Doug

We'll aim for getting about one third of white male workers on our side -- that's plenty, given the experience of the American Revolution:

***** Figures on public opinion in the Revolution are obviously mere guesswork, but John Adams estimated that one third of the colonials were Loyalists; probably another third were neutral, apathetic, or opportunistic. The Loyalists were strongest in the far southern colonies -- Georgia and the Carolinas -- and in the Middle Atlantic colonies, especially New York and Pennsylvania. In those places particularly the fighting became bitter civil war with raids and reprisals. <http://www.bartleby.com/65/lo/Loyalist.html> *****

One third of them will probably join our enemies whatever we do.

Cf. "Critical Mass": <http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0208/0644.html>. -- Yoshie