Pious, not religious?

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Mon Feb 24 17:03:57 PST 2003

In these dismal days, a truly religious person prays for peace; a merely pious person prays for a quick victory over the axis of evil . . .

-----Original Message----- From: s-t-t at juno.com [mailto:s-t-t at juno.com] Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 4:57 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Pious, not religious?

Doug wrote:
> Huge majorities of Americans - 70-80% and higher - tell pollsters they
> believe in angels, heaven, and hell, and almost all report daily
> prayer. No other First World nation comes close. Though as Dan Lazare
> once said to me, Americans are pious, which isn't necessarily the same
> as religious.

What is the difference? I don't mean that to be snide about religion, it's simply not clear to me.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com