Heartland

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Feb 24 20:51:23 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, joanna bujes wrote:

> I don't know cause I don't know people like that.

It must be a coastal thing. The Northeast is relatively sane, and the Left Coast ought to apply for EU accession status. Driving across the US, I was struck by the volume of fundamentalist graffiti in the heartland -- that, and the strange, eerie cellphone towers, like the alien landing craft of 1950s sci-fi thrillers. It isn't surprising that the post-Imperial polity should react almost allergically to the specter of alien invaders, a.k.a. global creditors.

-- DRR