One Third Re: Poor White Republicans

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Feb 25 07:02:44 PST 2003

Yoshie:

> We'll aim for getting about one third of white male workers on our
> side -- that's plenty, given the experience of the American
> Revolution:
>
> ***** Figures on public opinion in the Revolution are obviously
> mere guesswork, but John Adams estimated that one third of the
> colonials were Loyalists; probably another third were neutral,
> apathetic, or opportunistic. The Loyalists were strongest in the far
> southern colonies -- Georgia and the Carolinas -- and in the Middle
> Atlantic colonies, especially New York and Pennsylvania. In those
> places particularly the fighting became bitter civil war with raids
> and reprisals. <http://www.bartleby.com/65/lo/Loyalist.html> *****
>
> One third of them will probably join our enemies whatever we do.

This is probably underestimation. Today the enemy has much sophisticated and powerful means to coerce or induce people to their side. My estimation is that the figures showing support for the war are probably indicative of the share that will join the enemy if (or when) US political institutions become destabilized. My guess is about 60% joining a hard-core nazi-like nationalistic movement (no doubt, a good share of them for opportunistic reasons), 30% undecided or apathetic, and no more than 10% supporting the progressive side (that is, before it becomes silenced and locked up in concentration camps).

Wojtek