Bernadette Devlin deported - and similar cases (sent again with correct URLs]

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Tue Feb 25 15:34:05 PST 2003

[I sent this before - but with bad URS for the Candadian cases.]

You probably already heard that Bernadette Devlin wanted to visit the U.S. - and got deported

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-nybres243144609feb24,0,2021307.column?coll=ny%2Dnews%2Dcolumnists

Around mid February, a Canadian woman of Indian Birth visited her mother in India. She returned to Canada via O'Hare. Some fool in Chicago Customs decided her passport was fake. He deported her, not back to Canada (she is a Canadian citizen) but to India. It took her a week to get back home. She lost her job. (Although it was returned to her when her employer heard the circumstances.)

The URL for this story is: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1035777769334&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

An even more serious case occurred in October. Another Canadian citizen, a man of Syrian birth was passing through the U.S. For some reason they decided he was a terrorist, held him for two weeks, subjected him an INS hearing with no lawyer, and deported him to Syria. If he is lucky he is

rotting in a cell in a Syrian prison. I say "if he is lucky" because by now most people who know Syria agree he is probably dead.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20021014/UDEPON/International/international/internationalAmericasHeadline_temp/4/4/6/

Why is this any worse than the normal mass roundups we have been having?Well it probably isn't. But it is different, in that these are not people living (even temporarily) in the United States. The two Canadian citizens were not even visiting the U.S.. They merely had the bad luck to have dark skin, and to change planes in the U.S. That is right, at least one Canadian citizen is probably dead because he had the bad luck to change planes in the U.S. during an international flight.

I don't know why I find this shocking. I know this kind of stuff and worse happens all the time. I guess it just the extreme carelessness. There is no political or economic gain from this stuff. They risk lives, and threw away at least one life simply because they cannot be bothered not to.

On second thought, there is some political gain. Demonstrating utter indifference to, and carelessness with human life, is a traditional way for gangsters to create a climate of fear and gain street credibility.