Medicaid (and Medicare) Changes

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Feb 25 16:11:54 PST 2003

>westrich at miser.umass.edu wrote:
>
>>The benefit the states get is increased "flexibility". But what does
>>this "flexibility" mean?
>
>That's what it almost always means. With few exceptions, when
>employers or politicians talk about "flexibility" they're looking
>for a way to cut material benefits or security or both.
>
>Doug

Gingrich called for "flexibility" when he tried to destroy Medicaid back in the mid 90s -- and Clinton vetoed the plan (one of the things Bill did do right). From what I can tell Tommy Thompson's plan looks like a rerun exept that the desperate states are facing huge deficits and already making cuts. Now comes Bush offering a sneaky carrot -- the pot of money upfront to those states willing to go along with his plan -- however, the states WILL be obligated to pay back! So since states are already cutting benefits due to significant revenue loss the unqualified matriculate is gleefully taking it a step further -- off with their heads.

Marta -- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org