aphorism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 26 04:33:12 PST 2003

At 5:43 PM -0500 2/25/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>[from Sam Smith's Progressive Review, which usually opens with a
>quote - this one's for Carrol Cox, who hates uncertainty!]

I'd enjoy uncertainty if I were immeasurably rich.

At 5:43 PM -0500 2/25/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
>intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

Aphorisms are the genre for the cocksure and intelligent. Karl Marx, Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw, Bertrand Russell....all writers who left us memorable aphorisms knew that they were peerlessly intelligent and had no doubt that their words would delight their admirers, even or especially when they were "wrong." No aphorism can be wholly true, as all terse definitions lack subtlety and complexity; no one who is afraid of being "wrong" can write aphoristically.

E.g.

"All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life and his relations with his kind."

"True," but not wholly true, therefore "wrong," and yet delightfully cocksure and intelligent. -- Yoshie