PNAC letter

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Feb 26 15:39:40 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 05:30 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Such uncertainty will, by itself, have a seriously destabilizing
> effect on the entire Middle East. It hardly needs to be added that if
> Saddam does acquire the capability to deliver weapons of mass
> destruction, as he is almost certain to do if we continue along the
> present course, the safety of American troops in the region, of our
> friends and allies like Israel and the moderate Arab states, and a
> significant portion of the world's supply of oil will all be put at
> hazard. As you have rightly declared, Mr. President, the security of
> the world in the first part of the 21st century will be determined
> largely by how we handle this threat.

most interesting to me is the dog that doesn't bark in this paragraph. namely, in 1998, pnac apparently did not see saddam hussein as a significant (terrorist) threat to the united states "homeland". neither, of course, is there any mention of "liberating" the iraqi people, but that's a given for these guys, anyway.