JosÈ Ramos-Horta: East Timor & Iraq

Martin Hardie auskadi at cwpanama.net
Wed Feb 26 16:08:10 PST 2003

You must also know that during the 1990´s JRH maanaged to get the Clinton administration to back the Timorese cause. Without that backing and the change in the international landscape the necessary pressure was brought to bear upon Indonesia to hoold the referendum in the first place. Horta won the independence struggle through 25 years of diplomaatic activity and he is one of the ebst at playing the game. Also Timor has signed an agreement with the US concerning the International Criminal Court ...and the oil industry is vital for the future of the country. He at least is in step with the majority of the sovereigns when he says let the inspectors do their job. But he also knows the perils of UN trasnitional administrations.... Martin