Orwell's revenge, was: shock and yawn

topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Thu Feb 27 02:08:56 PST 2003

On 27/2/2003 6:59 PM, "lbo-talk-digest" <owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com> wrote:

> From: Reed Tryte <reed_tryte at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Shock And Yawn
>
> "Peter K." <peterk.enteract at rcn.com> wrote:
>
>> Hitchens put it best:
>>
>> "I am put very much in mind of something from the
>> opening of Marx's The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis
>> Bonaparte... Chomsky, whose prose now manifests
>> that symptom first captured in, I recall, words
>> by Dr. Charcot -- "le beau calme de l'hysterique"...
>> the September 11 crime is a mere bagatelle...
>> All radical polemic may now proceed..."
>
> Peter, I'm not trying to bait you, but even leaving
> aside the substance this is some truly horrible
> writing.

"The inflated style itself is a kind of euphemism. A mass of Latin words falls upon the facts like soft snow, blurring the outline and covering up all the details. The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish spurting out ink. "

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au