gold standard cranks

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Thu Feb 27 05:59:29 PST 2003

Hi,

I once checked this issue with a friend who works for the Canadian government as an economist, and he argued that while they were few and far between, there were, in fact, sensible economists who argued for a gold standard.

I almost always run into the "gold-bugs" as they are called in right-wing circles, but apparently once in a while one of them is not a "crank."

This assumes one can accept the fact that not everyone who is right-wing is a crank. Since the left is currently being out-organized by the right, I think the term "crank" is a little self-serving. By labelling right-wingers as "cranks" or "religious political extremists" or whatever, we get to feel superior while losing.

:-(

-Chip Berlet