gold standard cranks

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 13:38:49 PST 2003

>From: "Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>
>
>how was WJB a crank? (Gary Wills has a fun argument that in
>the Scopes trial, WJB was right and that other guy -- I'm blanking
>on his name -- was wrong.)

Am not familiar with Wills' argument, but PBS had a show about the Scopes trial some time ago (from the "American Experience" series, I believe) that was very sympathetic to Bryan. The show's POV was that Bryan wasn't opposed to teaching actual Darwinist theory in schools as much as he was worried about the using that teaching to indoctrinate students in support of Social Darwinism, eugenics, etc. Looking at how well the US has turned out as a "meritocracy" run by high-IQ psychopaths, I think Bryan had a point.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail