FAIR: Star Witness on Iraq Said Weapons Were Destroyed

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 22:07:26 PST 2003

"Peter K." <peterk.enteract at rcn.com> wrote:

>>"Kamel said Iraq had not abandoned its WMD
ambitions."

>Which is partly why it is about to be invaded.
>
>Peter

Bush's case for war has not been "We must invade because we are fairly certain that, at some point in the future, Saddam Hussein will again attempt to manufacture weapons such as those he seems to have destroyed over 11 years ago!" And rightfully so, since even Tony Blair would burst out laughing at that. Instead, the case is "We must invade because Iraq has these weapons RIGHT NOW!"

So Iraq's ambitions are not "partly why" it's about to be invaded. The weapons issue is purely a pretext -- as of course the Project for a New American Century flatly stated a few years ago. A pretext just like Bush's purported desire for Iraqis to breath free is a pretext, just like Bush's purported desire for democracy to flower in the mideast and lead to a Palestinian state is a pretext.

Let's be serious. If you support a war on humanitarian grounds, be honest enough to say that your agenda, as admirable as it is, has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons why this war will be waged, and that you have no influence over the Bush administration -- but that nonetheless you think that somehow the fallout from this will be a better world.

Now, to me this is nuts. It's like believing that a carpenter who's built doghouses all his life, who's never shown any interest in anything but doghouses, and in fact states that he's going to build a doghouse, actually will by accident build a rocking chair.

Or something like that. That analogy may have to be taken back to the shop for fine tuning.

And speaking of a Palestinian state, I see that the imminent war is clearly doing the trick:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,904670,00.html

"Ariel Sharon yesterday virtually ruled out the creation of a Palestinian state under his hawkish new government just a day after President Bush pledged to broker a peace deal once he has dealt with Iraq."