Oderint dum metuant Re: dilomats resignation letter

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 28 10:57:41 PST 2003

At 9:51 AM -0500 2/28/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>New York Times - February 27, 2003
>February 27, 2003
>U.S. Diplomat's Letter of Resignation
>
>The following is the text of John Brady Kiesling's letter of
>resignation to Secretary of State Colin L. Powell. Mr. Kiesling is a
>career diplomat who has served in United States embassies from Tel
>Aviv to Casablanca to Yerevan.
>
>Dear Mr. Secretary:
<snip>
>Has "oderint dum metuant" really become our motto?
>
><http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/27/international/27WEB-TNAT.html>

***** M. Tullius Cicero, Orations: The fourteen orations against Marcus Antonius (Philippics) (ed. C. D. Yonge)

THE FOURTEEN ORATIONS OF M. T. CICERO AGAINST MARCUS ANTONIUS, CALLED PHILIPPICS.: THE FIRST PHILIPPIC.

Editions and translations: Latin (ed. Albert Clark) | English (ed. C. D. Yonge)

XIV. What I am more afraid of is lest, being ignorant of the true path to glory, you, should think it glorious for you to have more power by yourself than all the rest of the people put together, and lest you should prefer being feared by your fellow-citizens to being loved by them. And if you do think so, you are ignorant of the road to glory. For a citizen to be dear to his fellow-citizens, to deserve well of the republic, to be praised, to be respected, to be loved, is glorious; but to be feared, and to be an object of hatred, is odious, detestable; and [p. 17] moreover, pregnant with weakness and decay. [34] And we see that, even in the play [about Atreus, by Lucius Accius (170 BCE - c. 86 BCE), a son of former slaves, the last and greatest tragic poet of Republican Rome in the eyes of his contemporaries], the very man who said,

"What care I though all men should hate my name, So long as fear accompanies their hate?" ["Oderint dum metuant"]

found that it was a mischievous principle to act upon.

I wish, O Antonius, that you could recollect your grandfather, of whom, however, you have repeatedly heard me speak. Do you think that he would have been willing to deserve even immortality, at the price of being feared in consequence of his licentious use of arms? What he considered life, what he considered prosperity, was the being equal to the rest of the citizens in freedom, and chief of them all in worth. Therefore, to say no more of the prosperity of your grandfather, I should prefer that most bitter day of his death to the domination of Lucius Cinna, by whom he was most barbarously slain.

[35] But why should I seek to make an impression on you by my speech? For, if the end of Caius Caesar cannot influence you to prefer being loved to being feared, no speech of any one will do any good or have any influence with you; and those who think him happy are themselves miserable. No one is happy who lives on such terms that he may be put to death not merely with impunity, but even to the great glory of his slayer. Wherefore, change your mind, I entreat you, and look back upon your ancestors, and govern the republic in such a way that your fellow-citizens may rejoice that you were born without which no one can be happy nor illustrious.

Preferred URL for linking to this page: <http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?lookup=Cic.+Phil.+1.34>

[Cf. "Marcus Tullius Cicero was the eldest son of an equestrian, though not noble, family. He was born 105 B.C. and was beheaded by Antony's soldiers in 43 B.C....When Caesar was assassinated four years later, Cicero saw visions of the old republican government revived once more, and delivered his fierce philippics against Antony; but upon the coalition of Octavius and Antony, was proscribed by Antony and killed by the latter's soldiers." <http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/cicero-republic1.html> *****

***** Suetonius (c.69-after 122 CE): De Vita Caesarum: Caius Caligula (The Lives of the Caesars: Caius Caligula), written c. 110 CE

... XXX. He seldom had anyone put to death except by numerous slight wounds, his constant order, which soon became well-known, being: "Strike so that he may feel that he is dying." When a different man than he had intended had been killed, through a mistake in the names, he said that the victim too had deserved the same fate. He often uttered the familiar line of the tragic poet [Accius, Trag., 203]: --- "Let them hate me, so they but fear me." He often inveighed against all the senators alike, as adherents of Seianus and informers against his mother and brothers, producing the documents which he pretended to have burned, and upholding the cruelty of Tiberius as forced upon him, since he could not but believe so many accusers....Angered at the rabble for applauding a faction which he opposed, he cried: "I wish the Roman people had but a single neck...".

<http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/suetonius-caligula.html> *****

***** THE PRINCE by Nicolo Machiavelli Written c. 1505 Translated by W. K. Marriott

CHAPTER XVII Concerning Cruelty And Clemency, And Whether It Is Better To Be Loved Than Feared

...And of all princes, it is impossible for the new prince to avoid the imputation of cruelty, owing to new states being full of dangers. Hence Virgil, through the mouth of Dido, excuses the inhumanity of her reign owing to its being new, saying:

Res dura, et regni novitas me talia cogunt Moliri, et late fines custode tueri.

[Against my will, my fate A throne unsettled, an infant state, Bid me defend my realms with all my pow'rs, And guard with these severities my shores.]

Nevertheless he ought to be slow to believe and to act, nor should he himself show fear, but proceed in a temperate manner with prudence and humanity, so that too much confidence may not make him incautious and too much distrust render him intolerable.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved, when, of the two, either must be dispensed with. Because this is to be asserted in general of men, that they are ungrateful, fickle, false, cowardly, covetous, and as long as you succeed they are yours entirely; they will offer you their blood, property, life and children, as is said above, when the need is far distant; but when it approaches they turn against you. And that prince who, relying entirely on their promises, has neglected other precautions, is ruined; because friendships that are obtained by payments, and not by greatness or nobility of mind, may indeed be earned, but they are not secured, and in time of need cannot be relied upon; and men have less scruple in offending one who is beloved than one who is feared, for love is preserved by the link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails.

Nevertheless a prince ought to inspire fear in such a way that, if he does not win love, he avoids hatred; because he can endure very well being feared whilst he is not hated, which will always be as long as he abstains from the property of his citizens and subjects and from their women. But when it is necessary for him to proceed against the life of someone, he must do it on proper justification and for manifest cause, but above all things he must keep his hands off the property of others, because men more quickly forget the death of their father than the loss of their patrimony. Besides, pretexts for taking away the property are never wanting; for he who has once begun to live by robbery will always find pretexts for seizing what belongs to others; but reasons for taking life, on the contrary, are more difficult to find and sooner lapse....

<http://www.ilt.columbia.edu/publications/Projects/digitexts/machiavelli/the_prince/chapter17.html> ***** -- Yoshie