white trash, etc

cuito61 at onebox.com cuito61 at onebox.com
Fri Feb 28 11:01:44 PST 2003

>any progressive
>minded person in this country should send them a hearthly "fuck you" and
>direct them to ask their president to reward them for their patriotism.
>

>Wojtek

At times I could sympathize with this sentiment. As a matter of fact, I find myself thinking this a lot. I mean, at what point do we just admit that the majority of American people are willfully racist, think that US control over the world is a good idea, want to bomb Iraq and don't care if large numbers of civilians are killed? Look at Fox News: it's the number 1 in ratings and keeps getting more and more viewers.

I know, I know, people are just ignorant because the media and information is so controlled, etc., etc. But it sure is frustrating sometimes, the extent to which people swallow this "USA #1" shit makes you wonder how much of it is indoctrination and how much of it is because people want to be like that and fully understand what they are doing. And this type fo jingoism, sadly, is not limited to just "white trash." Like the other day, I go to my college bookstore and the African-American girl behind the cash register is talking about the female basketball player who refuses to face the flag before games. I said to her, "I think she's right. Look at what they're doing. I wouldn't salute the flag." She responded, with her non-union, minimum wage, no healthcare, struggling to get by job: "if you don't like America leave the country."

I couldn't believe it. It was one of the most depressing moments I've had in a while. And this is New York.