Perry Anderson: Casuistries of Peace and War (As the republic an structure crumbles)

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Fri Feb 28 12:58:46 PST 2003

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood [mailto:dhenwood at panix.com] Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 12:08 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Perry Anderson: Casuistries of Peace and War (As the republic an structure crumbles)

Wow

>In Maine, Department of Education (news - web sites) Commissioner
>Duke Albanese sent a memo to superintendents and principals, writing
>that it had been brought to his attention some school personnel had
>been "less than sensitive to children of military families regarding
>our continued strained relations with Iraq."

Don't criticize the war because it might hurt the children! And our relations with Iraq are "strained." How much stupidity can you pack into a single paragraph?

Doug

Evidently, quite a lot. But I don't think we've seen the limit yet. . . .