breeding for beauty/intelligence

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Feb 28 16:45:57 PST 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, joanna bujes wrote:

> Oh. Have they discovered a gene for altruism?

Well, they haven't discovered the group of genes responsible for our sex drives yet, either. I'm still fairly certain that there's some genetic basis for our urge to procreate.

> But seriously folks. The
> problem with this is that it is better to be fully human than it is to be
> an object. Even an intelligent, beautiful object. Life is not an instance
> of shopping. That's all.

Are the persons in my imagined future world objects first and humans second? Or, perhaps, not even humans at all? As their proxy, I'll have to beg to disagree.

> Breed roses!

Yes, breeding humans as though they were cattle would be a disastrous experiment. However, I'm not so sure that altering the genes of our future offspring so that they will will have the best possible chance exemplify what is best in us would be such a bad idea.

-- Luke