Perry Anderson

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Feb 28 17:31:59 PST 2003

Jeet Heer wrote:
> Doug and Joanna,
> I don't think your being quite fair here. Anderson is not saying that
> the war shouldn't be opposed, but that opposition to it has to be based
> on broader principals that encompass inequalities in the system as
> a whole.

Agreed. He's central focus is that the swifter the victory, and the more secure the client state, the faster the ground will give beneath the "mainstream" opposition.

> I think he's right to point out the hypocrisy of those who supported
> "military humanitarism" in the Balkans and 10 years of sanctions
> against Iraq but balk at the fact that Bush is taking these wretched
> policies to their logical conclusion.

Yeah, plus something else. Last night on the BBC (radio) reported that US AID will be moving in _with_ the military. As Zizek said, the distinction between military intervention and the delivery of humanitarian aid is being collapsed. It's as if, for the US, they are now one and the same. The US is not so much the "global policeman", but the Red Cross, armed.

Also, I notice someone observed parallels between Anderson's line of argument and Hardt's. Anderson's take on the SC is not different, so far as I can tell, as what Tariq Ali has been saying lately. UN approval or no, it's the same wretched war.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com