criticism

Quenby Alclaire flagrant_sake at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 11:18:55 PST 2003

>I think the Lott episode demonstrates that the the US is getting better
on race
> (at least since 1948 and at least in its imagined self) in spite of all
the
>endlessly repeated coded propaganda. It also highlighted how the
Republicans play
>the race card and how Clinton, Gore, Mickey Kaus, etc. encouraged the
Democrats
>to do the same. Anyone who dismisses the Lott episode as mere bourgeois
parlamentary
>politics/executive committee. fluff, fails to notice its symbolism.
Unlike say the early 60s, blacks and
>Latinos are much, much more integrated into the armed services, police
forces, entertainment industry,
>etc, etc. The current strategy of the Republicans seems to be to divide
the Latinos and
>Blacks.

the 'symbolism' is that overt racism is now viewed as a bad marketing strategy? not good PR? seems like 'they' already knew that (except for Wallace thing....and he got shot) 40 yrs ago. seeing as he said that at a party for the guy that ran as a segregationist but still managed to serve 50+ yrs in congress. the only symbolism is that party heads don't put up with bad PR regardless if it's at least honest or not. what's worse someone being honest about their racist views or the wink wink nudge nudge thing? seems to me the high incarceration rate of african amercicans etc. is going to continue whether there's a confederate flag on top of a state capitol or not.

~M.E.