Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 2 15:06:52 PST 2003

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> > At 9:04 PM -0500 12/31/02, Chuck0 wrote:
>> >There is abundant proof that whenever a vanguard party puts itself
>> >in front of dissent, that dissent is tamed.
>>
>> What would it have meant to "tame" the 1991 LA riot? What form would
>> dissent have taken if "tamed" in the sense you mean? You mean fewer
>> individuals would have been killed, deported, arrested, etc. because
>> of the riot?
>
>Yoshie has it correct. If I remember correctly, in the riots after
>the death of King, the sectors of Atlanta where SNCC had been
>organizing, of SF where the Panthers had been organizing, did not
>riot. Riots are, unfortunately, not only unavoidable but probably
>necessary; nevertheless they represent a very low level of political
>consciousness. They have about as much to do with serious mass
>politics (revolutionary or reformist) as an alarm clock has to do
>with the day's work.
>
>A left faction that deliberately provokes a riot, however, or tries
>to riot on its own (the black blocs?) hasn't gotten out of nursery
>school.
>
>Carrol

When blacks truly riot violently on their own as in Cincinnati, white anarchists, many of whom relish the mystique of street battles with the police, are nowhere to be found in the riot.

White anarchists don't have enough numbers to riot by themselves either. (Also, a significant number of anarchists are pacifist communitarian types, more in favor of Food Not Bombs and like activities than confronting the police.)

Folks in the black bloc appear to show up at demos mainly populated by others who don't share their ideology and use the crowds as cover for their vandalizing, maneuvering themselves so they won't (hopefully) get arrested, leaving the crowds to fend for themselves when the police riot. It's the non-anarchist crowds who are left holding the bag. The boy who was killed in Genoa, Carlo Giuliani, was not a member of the black bloc. Lots of Italians and others who went to and wrote about the G8 protests were saying that the black bloc was infiltrated by the police or the police masqueraded as the black bloc, though Chuck0 insisted that there was a real black bloc at the G8 protests also. Whichever was the case, the black bloc (if the authentic one was in Genoa then) was a minor element, though it certainly didn't help. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/>