Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 3 08:26:54 PST 2003

JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

>'People of Color' is a phrase that obscures the specific history of slavery
>in the Americas, so if we're going to use it we should understand that it has
>this weakness, although it has other strengths.

What are its strengths? Sometimes it just seems like a white racist's view of the world with the moral valorization reversed. It divides the world into white people and everyone else, with everyone else constituting about 90% of the human population.

It's interesting that there are so many complaints about the anti-IMF movement in the US. being almost exclusively white. Since most of the victims of the IMF are "people of color," shouldn't there be more solidarity coming from Americans of color? Why isn't there?

Doug