Myth of the GOP Working Class (Re: Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 3 15:43:46 PST 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Ridiculous. Look at the actual exit polls over the years up to the
>2000 elections ( the 2002 exit polls were botched so no solid data)
>at http://members.cox.net/fweil/ExitPolls7200.html
>
>The numbers don't break out by income crossed with race, but
>there aren't enough blacks to cancel the fact that those making
>less than $15,000 per year went 57% for Gore, while those making
>over $75,000 went 53% for Bush. At worst, the white working class
>is divided between the parties, while the white elite goes
>overwhelmingly for the GOP, given the fact that rich blacks and
>Jews vote Dem understate the general white elite GOP voting
>patterns.

The "worst" seems to be true.

Hacking together some Census numbers with the VNS exit poll numbers shows that low-income whites went for Gore by just 3 percentage points. Since they derive no discernible material benefits from Republican administration, it's probably all about Jesus and race. And the next income category went for Bush, and the middle band heavily for Bush.

Anyway, these numbers should be taken with a few grains of salt. The income categories don't match exactly, and I'm assuming that nonwhite voters voted the same regardless of income, and that the racial mix of voters by income class matches that of the general population.

WHITE VOTE, 2000

Gore Bush Under $15,000 48% 45% $15,000-29,000 45% 50% $30,000-49,000 40% 58% Over $50,000 38% 59% Over $75,000 38% 60% Over $100,000 37% 60%