Electoral Dilemmas Re: Color of Anarchism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 3 20:07:45 PST 2003

I agree with Carrol here. The number of avowed white supremacists is very small. If theyw ere all we had to deal with we'd be in excellent shape. Most racism, even most conscious racism, is driven by hatred and fear, not pride. And I also agree with Carrol that conscious racism is not the main problem. jks

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> >
> >>Though my real point was that the Southern Strategy
> >>had to do with fear, not pride.
> >
> >White supremacists are proud of being white. They think their skin
> >color marks them as the bearers of civilization (even though they're
> >generally poor advertisements for their cause). Surely you're not
> >denying that?
> >
> >Doug

I would deny it rather emphatically. In the first place the largest group of racists (objective white supremacists one might say) are those whose slogans are "racial harmony" and "color blindness." And even among those who are more overt racists (who include many of my relatives) show no evidence of "white pride." I'm not even sure I understand what that could mean. It's not just (as Yoshie point out below) that overt expressions of "white power" etc are a no-no, though that is certainly the case, but that that most people never even think of themselves as "white," except when a situation of explicit contrast arises. There are presidential candidates and black presidential candidates; there are writers and black writers; there are neighborhoods and black neighborhoods.

If racism consisted only of those who proclaim (privately or publicly) "white pride" there would be no issue worth discussing. They make up too marginal a part of the working class.

Carrol