US cultural sway waning?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 4 04:53:22 PST 2003

>From: kjkhoo at softhome.net
>
>US cultural sway may or may not be waning, but these two items are hardly
>indicative.
>
>The second item is perhaps the more evident: Mecca Cola is a copy of "the
>real thing" and is thus condemned at inception to be under the latter's
>sign. It may well come out from under that, but I doubt it as it depends
>for recognition upon the continued existence of "the real thing".

Yes, but Mecca-Cola both "depends" on Coca-Cola and *mocks* it at the same time. In essence, Mecca-Cola says to the US: "Screw you and your precious 'intellectual property.' We're going to steal the cursive type, squiggle line and red background of your registered trademark, and what the hell are you going to do about it?" This is a direct challenge to US branding as legally defensible property, and the US corporate interests here respond in an uncharacteristically obsequious way (for obvious reasons). As the article noted: "Asked whether Coke contemplated legal action because of Mecca's similar label, ... [one Coke executive] replied: 'Our lawyers are aware of it, absolutely. But I don't believe there's a decision to take legal action.'" Usually US companies react like rabid Rottweilers to even the slightest copyright infringement. This is quite a humiliation for the Coca-Cola Company.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail