people of color & a plea

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Sat Jan 4 08:41:42 PST 2003

You wrote:
>JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
>
>>'People of Color' is a phrase that obscures the specific history of slavery
>>in the Americas, so if we're going to use it we should understand that
>>it has this weakness, although it has other strengths.
>
>What are its strengths? Sometimes it just seems like a white racist's
>view of the world with the moral valorization reversed. It divides
>the world into white people and everyone else, with everyone else
>constituting about 90% of the human population.

Well, I think it's replaced 'minorities' so that's an improvement. In the U.S. context it recognizes that racism doesn't just happen to black people and highlights the possibility for alliances between Latinos-African Americans-Asians Native-Americans.

I could post this, but as I see the formidable array of digests arrived in my inbox 1/3/03 I suspect someone else already answered--for us mere mortals who have non-academic jobs etc. I'd like to put in a plug that you in some slightly more heavy-handed way enforce the 3-post a day rule (or a gigabyte, whichever comes first).

Thanks Doug, & happy new year to you and Liza,

Jenny

Jenny Brown co-chair, Alachua County Labor Party P.O. Box 12051 Gainesville, FL 32604 USA (352) 378-5655