braindead white guys

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 4 10:13:56 PST 2003

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> [clip all the post except the last sentence]
> So the answer is to stop catering to them, and dig up votes from
> somewhere else--preferably anywhere else.

This can happen. It happened in 1936 (the first election in which the black vote was of real significance).

But it can't happen as a direct goal of leftist activity, because left activity can only be marginally or parenthetically or some day in the future concerned with votes in any way, shape or form. And I think all discussion of voting patterns, of how to get votes, etc. tends to distract from serious consideration both of witbd and of what is _being_ done on the left. It was a joke with a serious content in the '60s that all political activity stopped for 6 months out of every 24 -- the six months leading up to elections.

Carrol