Myth of the GOP Working Class

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 4 13:46:58 PST 2003

At 12:09 AM -0600 1/4/03, Carrol Cox wrote:
> > What is to be done
> > in the meantime? No electoral participation?
>
>Obviously some leftists are going to continue to work in such formations
>as the Green Party and the Labor Party -- which probably ought to start
>running candidates (and take a more hostile position towards the DP). I
>wouldn't myself, but it is good that some do. But for the most part it
>isn't so much formally rejecting electoral participation as choosing
>other forms of activity.
>
>There's probably going to be a flood of leftists in 2004 working for
>Bush's defeat. That is, for about 6 months political activity will
>pretty much come to a halt. I think it important that at least a goodly
>sprinkling of locally visible leftists refuse to join in. We've got to
>keep alive the idea of a mass movement as something that doesn't
>collapse every four years.

I agree with you in that the main forms of political activity for leftists shouldn't be electoral politics. On the other hand, the lack of left-wing electoral alternatives might make it more likely that movements (when they rise) get absorbed again and again into the DP, in effect sustaining its presence and preventing the collapse of legitimacy of the sort that AD suffered in Venezuela. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/>