chain stores and regional identity

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Jan 5 16:49:07 PST 2003

1) Do you think it is true that ordinary people often find regional identity in the products of mass culture? If so, do you think Krispy Kreme in the south counts as a good example?

2) Aside from Krispy Kreme, can you think of any other chain store or franchise that has a strong regional identity in the South?

3) Do you think that the persistent of regional identity through consumer products and chain stores challenges the idea that culture in North America is becoming more homogenious?

---------

1) No.

2) Baptists

3) No.

I never heard of Krispy Kreme until they showed up out here in SF bay area about two or three years ago. I ate one and almost puked. If they are a part of the southern food chain, no wonder I gaged.

The only regional brands that I identify with the South are Segregation, Mosquitos, and Baptists.

Thanks for asking.

Chuck Grimes