chain stores and regional identity

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Sun Jan 5 19:46:13 PST 2003

I think that if one were looking for evidence of the persistence of regional cultures in the US one would do better to look for distinctive regional food preferences rather than regional chains vending essentially interchangable products. The persistence of these chains in particular regions is probably owing to "founder effects:" they were there first. In the Milwaukee area, there is a chain of hamburger joints called George Webb, similar in price and quality to White Castle. They are sort of a local institution, I suppose, but the food is the same as what you would find at similar chains in other cities.

Custard, on the other hand--around here, it's a type of ice cream made with eggs--_is_ a distinctive regional food type, little known so far as I know outside of this area. Elsewhere, custard is a kind of sweet egg pudding. There are no custard chains. It is sold by a host of mom and pop operations, many of them drive-ins, and a couple of larger year-round stores with two or three locations.

Although few would deny that the US is becoming more homogeneous for all of the usually cited reasons, I think that regional cultures, which are not themselves static, are surprisingly persistent. It has little to do with doughnut chains, though.

Jacob Conrad