Self-determination; was: color of anarchism

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 5 20:01:11 PST 2003

Hi Thiago and happy new year

> What the hell is happening to the Melbourne Age

Kerry Packer bought it instead of Conrad Black ... thanks to the (anti) foreign ownership regulations which are so convenient to the Australian national bourgeoisie.

> This is so depressing. Nobody seems able to think without the aid of heads
> mounted at the ends of pikes.

Very true. As you say, what is most telling is Horvath's conflation of the expansionist nationalism of a populous modern society like Germany in the 1930s and the aspirant nationalism of a small, developing and (officially) stateless society like the Palestinians or Tamils. Interesting, isn't it, that he doesn't mention the Kurds at all?

I don't find these examples (or the Chechen example) or _any_ other kind of nationalism very inspiring; what I do find interesting is that the Israeli, Sinhalese (or post-Soviet Russian etc.) ruling classes felt so threatened by these moves toward independence in the first place, _before_ the "terrorist" campaigns began.

regards,

Grant.