Nervous Conditions

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jan 5 23:27:08 PST 2003

***** They [Arabs] reminded me much of Indians, did these people. They had but little clothing, but such as they had was fanciful in character and fantastic in its arrangement. Any little absurd gewgaw or gimcrack they had they disposed in such a way as to make it attract attention most readily. They sat in silence, and with tireless patience watched our every motion with that vile, uncomplaining impoliteness which is so truly Indian, and which makes a white man so nervous and uncomfortable and savage that he wants to exterminate the whole tribe.

(Mark Twain, _Innocents Abroad_, Chapter 45) ***** -- Yoshie