Dividends

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 7 07:18:56 PST 2003

Daniel Davies wrote:

>The Bush dividend plan is quite possibly a giveaway to the rich, but the
>general idea of ending double taxation of dividends is a good one.

What's so good about it? Is the American corporate sector suffering under years of ruinous taxation? Are the American rich suffering under years of ruinous taxation? Fuck 'em. They've gotten a free pass for, well practically forever.

I pay state and city taxes on pretax income that I've never seen because the feds have first claim on it. Is that double taxation? I pay self-employment tax on income that's been taxed by the same branch of government. Is that double taxation too?

Doug