Dividends

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 7 12:36:47 PST 2003

Daniel:

> Double taxation of dividends is a subsidy to gearing.
> Gearing causes financial fragility, which increases the
> volatility of output, the burden of which volatility falls
> disproportionately upon the poor.

Could you explain the term "gearing" ? Could you also explain the exact mechanism whereby a double tax imposed on income derived from property ownership poses a burden to those who are selling their labor? In my materialistic mind, in the world of two containters A and B, if you take a quantity from container A that quantity must end up in container B (less friction or "transaction costs"), no?

Wojtek