Self-determination

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 7 13:49:18 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> ChrisD(RJ) wrote:
>
> >Ukraine the fount of world civilization
>
> Is it true that Ukranians eat deep-fried chunks of pork fat?

I don't know about that, but before WW 2 Americans who butchered their own hogs certainly ate enough of what could be described as fried pork fat. I did between the ages of 5 & 9. The hog would be cut up and preserved in brine in a barrel. The closer you got to the bottom the more all that was left was side meat (from hogs which were raised for lard production and thus had one hell of a lot of side meat). Very salty to boot.

Carrol