Varieties of Insult

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 7 21:38:55 PST 2003

Quoting Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>:

> Justin wrote (in a format which won't quote in plaintext so I have to
> paste it):
>
> You take offense too easily. As Carrol can tell you, when I insult you,
> you won't mistake it. (I think I called him a bucket of rancid pigshit.
> To be be fair, I thought he had called me a cop. Now that's
> unforgivable. Being a lawyer is bad enough ;)).
>
> I don't remember exactly but what I think I did was extrapolate from a
> given theoretical position to a future practice allegedly necessitated
> by it -- which is what I think your (here's that Jamesian* word again)
> interlocutors are now doing. It was, I think, also one of the rationales
> used in the purges to prove various old bolsheviks were traitors: their
> theory had to lead to such and such a kind of action.
>
> Theory and practice are, perhaps, wholly unified only in that last
> lonely instant which never comes.
>
> Carrol
>
> *Henry, of course, not William.

Carrol, sometimes I swear, you are so *weird*... what's "of course" about Henry rather than William? And what on earth makes "your" a Jamesian word (of either kind)? Can I have "we" as a Driscollian word?

However, I'm impressed. "bucket of rancid pigshit", huh? I don't think I've ever managed to be that affecting.

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/