progress!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 8 06:49:37 PST 2003

AFA Action Alert!

Colorado school rejects Bible club, but allows Gay/Straight Alliance club

"The Bible has been an integral part of our education system for centuries. To study and learn about its teachings and historical significance in our country is not a violation of the Constitution." - Tim Wildmon, AFA president

January 8, 2003

School officials at Boulder Valley School District's <http://www.bvsd.k12.co.us/schools_admin/profilepage.asp?numsch=360&level=high> Monarch High School in Colorado have refused to permit students to form a Bible club, but allowed the formation of a Gay/Straight Alliance and other clubs.

A <http://www.aclj.org/news/pressreleases/030106_Colorado_Bible_club.asp> press release by the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), an international public interest law firm, said it filed a federal lawsuit against the school district, charging religious discrimination.

Tim Wildmon, president of <http://www.afa.net> American Family Association calls the school's refusal ridiculous. "The Bible has been an integral part of our education system for centuries. To study and learn about its teachings and historical significance in our country is not a violation of the Constitution." He believes the school will lose if it goes to court because schools must allow student Bible clubs if they already permit any kind of extracurricular club to meet on campus.

In its suit, the ACLJ contends that Ashley Thiele, a senior who leads a student group, requested permission to form a Bible club that directly related to the curriculum by serving as an extension to courses which deal with the Bible in history, literature, and philosophy. It will also meet the educational goals of the school district by encouraging a healthy lifestyle and good citizenship.

Further, the ACLJ suit says school officials rejected the request because the Bible club was not related to the district's curriculum. Further, the suit contends that the school district defended its decision to permit the formation of the Gay/Straight Alliance saying that group is "directly linked [to] the curricula of health classes" and is permitted because "our Health education, Living On Your Own, and Understanding Diversity classes all...cover issues related to sexual orientation..."

Related articles

<http://www.family.org/cforum/feature/a0015103.html> Court: Schools Must Allow Bible Clubs <http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_club.htm> Over coming opposition to student religious clubs in public schools Highly recommended reading! <http://www.liberty.edu/chancellor/nlj/March99/mstaver.htm> Understanding the Protections of 'Equal Access' <http://www.adherents.com/misc/fed_guidelines.html> Federal Guidelines for Religious Expression in Public Schools

ACTION NEEDED

AFA encourages you to send a letter to the Boulder Valley School District Superintendent George Garcia, school board members, and Monarch High School principal Dr. William W. Johnson.

<http://www.afa.net/Activism/TakeAction.asp?id=53> CLICK HERE to send a letter!