Self-determination

msambors at bloomberg.net msambors at bloomberg.net
Wed Jan 8 07:17:42 PST 2003

>Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:44:29 -0500
>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>Subject: RE: Self-determination
>
>ChrisD(RJ) wrote:
>
>>Ukraine the fount of world civilization
>
>Is it true that Ukranians eat deep-fried chunks of pork fat?

Some Ukrainians eat cold, salted pork fat called "salo." (http://www.calguard.ca.gov/ia/Russia/Only%20in%20Russia-Ukrainians%20Confiscate%20Contraband%20Russian%20Pork%20Fat.htm)

I was a university exchange student in Ukraine in the early 90s and I was introduced to salo on my first morning in the country. My first breakfast at my hotel was salo and pickled vegetables.

The Ukrainian city I was in had an interesting approach to restaurant choice.

None of the restaurants had menus; they each specialized in a single dish.

So if you wanted perogies, you went to restaurant A. Chicken was restaurant B, beef was restaurant C, etc.

I remember that paintings of Lenin were dirt-cheap in 1992 in the former Soviet Union. Another student brought back two Lenin portraits and hung them in his living room. Apparently, some visitors asked him whether the guy was his grandfather...

>Doug

Mark