Self-determination - pork rinds

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Wed Jan 8 08:59:41 PST 2003

At 06:41 AM 1/8/03 -0800, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> > Genny Screamers and Spiedies. You cain't hardly get more
> > isolatedly regional than a Genny Screamer and spiedie.
>
>(but don't get me started about anything that's breaded or has "BBQ
>sauce" on it), whereas I don't think there's anyplace else that has
>'weck.

You 'n' me, both, babe. You 'n' me, both. I've taken to making my own when I get a hankering for them--what a mess frying is. I live 1 mile from the original Hooters where they, ostensibly, serve up what they audaciously call Buffalo wings against a perky, bouncing, orange-clad terrain.

And, if I don't find a freakin' REAL antipasto salad as made by the Hollywood Restaurant sometime soon, I'm going to have to cut this limpdick state off the crotch of the nation and float it to the middle of the Atlantic.

I do recall having Kimmelweck's on at least one menu at a joint I worked in upstate Central NY...but we catered to the traveling populace.

I'd say screamers were (still are?) isolated to Upstate NY, in contrast to many things southern which seem to extend across a wide swath of geography. My girlfriend grew up in the Adirondacks and that's what they drank in H.S. I don't believe I've ever had one and, if I did, I must have been so tanked I don't remember being quite that desperate. And, yeah, spiedies are virtually unheard of outside of the Southern Tier. North of Ithaca, west of Elmira, or east of Binghamton--few people know what they are.

Kelley

TexASS--our sagging arse.