Self-determination

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 8 10:19:51 PST 2003

>Ulhas Joglekar wrote:
>
>>I don't know what is exactly this "race to the bottom" that the Left is
>>talking about. Is this absolute immiseration of working people thesis?
>
>It's a staple of the antiglobalization literature, at least in the
>U.S. and other high-income countries: nations and regions compete
>against each other to see who can offer the most attractive deal to
>hypermobile capital, resulting in markdowns in wages and
>environmental/social standards.
>
>Doug

Not so much a "race to the bottom" as uneven and combined development;

***** New York Times December 31, 2002

Disillusion Rises Among South Africa's Poor

By RACHEL L. SWARNS

SOWETO, South Africa, Dec. 28 - ...Today, the benefits of the post-apartheid era seem plain: There are black faces in Parliament and in businesses, integrated schools and neighborhoods and a rapidly growing black elite.

But disappointment is clearly surging among the poor, the working class and the undereducated. Western officials have praised the black government for its conservative fiscal policies, but the nation has lost thousands of jobs in recent years as the previously sheltered economy has been liberalized.

Unemployment is nearly 30 percent, up from 17 percent in 1995. It is not unusual to hear some blacks talk wistfully about the apartheid era when jobs were plenty and layoffs few....

Natale Koanaite, a 27-year-old driver, says the high hopes poor people had when they voted for the black government are fading. "Voting is supposed to change the lives of people who are disadvantaged," he said. "But after voting, what did people get? In Soweto not much is changing."

The governing African National Congress has acknowledged the mounting dissatisfaction. The party's membership has declined in four of the country's nine provinces over the last five years. This month, Kgalema Motlanthe, secretary general of the party, warned that it was in danger of losing young supporters.

Less than half of the people between 18 and 25 voted in the 1999 presidential election. A.N.C. officials fear that disaffected young people, who often lack jobs and vivid memories of apartheid, may be wooed by other political parties, black or white.

"If as a society and a movement we fail to conscientize and mobilize the student and young professional and intelligentsia, other forces will step into this vacuum," Mr. Motlanthe warned....

Dissatisfied blacks are hardly seeking a white president. The Afrobarometer survey, of 2,400 people across the country, showed that less than 3 percent of black voters intended to vote for a white political party. The survey, which had a margin of sampling error of 2 percentage points, suggests that blacks do not want another white government but miss what they view as the efficiency of the old one.

"It's not nostalgia for apartheid per se, but for the way things are seen to have worked under apartheid," explained Robert Mattes, a political analyst at the University of Cape Town, who conducted the recent Afrobarometer survey.

Here in black township of Soweto, on a block of cramped houses and wilting dreams, Sabelo Sibanda, 28, has already decided not to vote. He is a law school graduate who has been searching for a job for more than a year.

"We wanted to contribute to our country," said Mr. Sibanda, who lives with his parents and wonders now whether he was foolish to dream such lofty dreams. "We fought for so long for equal rights, to be respected, to be treated as people. I wonder now, the struggle, was it worth it?

"Here I am, young and qualified, and I cannot get a job. Why should I vote when I don't benefit from this government? They say they're trying to alleviate poverty, but I don't see it."

<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/31/international/africa/31AFRI.html> ***** -- Yoshie