deterrence was: Helen Thomas vs. Ari Fleischer

topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Wed Jan 8 15:13:57 PST 2003

On 9/1/2003 9:45 AM, "lbo-talk-digest" <owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com> wrote: Containment worked in
> the Cold War, but can't in the war on terrorism. Presumably the
> underlying concept is that Cold Warriors are rational and terrorists
> aren't. You deal with the former, and kill the latter. Doug

Just out of curiosity - is it possible to determine where an atomic bomb was made after its explosion? That may be a technical problem and also an intelligence problem, but if it is possible to do that, why would deterrence not work with terrorists? Terrorists, from the perspective of a state, would have to be regarded as just another delivery system.

I gather that with biological agents it is indeed possible - and embarrassing - to find out where they were made.

Thiago

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au