Marx After Marxism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 9 07:12:42 PST 2003

--- Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> wrote:
> At 08/01/03 21:45 -0500, you wrote:
> >http://pulpculture.org/MarxAfterMarxism.html
> >
> >After more months than I care to actually look up
> and document, I finally
> >got 'round to putting Justin's paper, Marx After
> Marxism, up at
> >Pulpculture.org.
>
> It is difficult to do justice to this paper, which I
> have at this moment in
> time only been able to read for its main themes.
>
> But it seems to me to miss one of the concepts that
> resurfaces from time to
> time in the writings of Marx and Engels - that of
> testamentary executor.
> Sometimes a progressive movement fails only to have
> its ideas implemented,
> yes in distorted form by another agent.

Thanks for the nice comments, Chris, but see p. 13 of the paper, whos deals with this point in almost that language:

"In A Dream of John Ball, a meditation on the failed English Peasant's Rebellion of 1381, the 19th century

communist, poet, and designer William Morris wrote:

I pondered these things, and how men fight and lose the battle, and the thing they fought for

comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes it turns out not to be what they want,

and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name.

Is this not the situation of Marxists today?"

jks