Helen Thomas vs. Ari Fleischer

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 9 18:05:17 PST 2003

Ian said:

>Do you think Iraq's claim to Kuwait was legitimate enough to justify its
>aggression?

You mention Michael Pollak's post wrt the Hague:

http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0211/0327.html

>From what he posted, it sounds as though Iraq was using it's "claim" on
Kuwait to try to get it to lay off squeezing Iraq dry (not a good thing for the Iraqi people, eh?) in a dispute about land. Basically it looks like two capitalist thugs "beating each other up" for money, killing people in the process (and, it seems, many people, especially Iraquis, were happy to get mixed up in the fight).

Would the Hague have gotten Kuwait to lay off? Maybe.

I think your original question was the wrong one to ask. Perhaps better might have been, "Do you think being economically attacked was THE goad to get an already volatile regime to panic and react wildly?"

It all seems to come down to: do we give a country a pass for taking an option which seems pretty "natural" given capitalism?

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM: Try the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail