korzbyski-general semantics

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 9 20:47:12 PST 2003

frank scott wrote:

> "I wonder how many people (even on this learned list)
> have heard of Korzbyski, General Semantics or E-Prime."
>
> is he the guy who said "the map is not the territory"?

Possibly. I read the whole thing very carefully back in 1952 or 53 -- and was very impressed with it for almost a year. (Actually, I think I bogged down in the final chapter, not having the requisite knowledge of biochemistry and differnetial equations.) It had one advantage that Wylie and Hardt/Negri didn't have: you picked up a hell of a lot of useful information while reading through it. I think it was my first introduction to the Theory of Types _and_ the weaknesses of the Theory of Types. Kenneth Burke discusses it in _Grammar of Motives_.

Carrol